We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
We all have this list of things we have been putting off for a long time. It is on our mental to do list and from time to time, we think about it but that is about all we do. It can be something major like cleaning out a drawer to something major like having the talk with our parents about the fact they are aging. A lot of this will depend on what stage of life you are in but the steps are basically the same.
Maybe these thoughts just flit through your mind, maybe you even make a list of them and maybe they wake you up in the middle of the night thinking about them….like at 2 p.m. and keep you awake until you do something.
There are many reasons (excuses) you may be avoiding doing these things. I have thought a lot about this and these are my biggest ones:
- Fear of failure
- Fear of response
- No time
- Don’t know where to start
Below are a few steps that MIGHT make it easier for you:
- Stop and think of why you are avoiding it. If the reason is that you don’t know where to start, stop long enough to figure it out.
- Break it into small steps. Do not try something like “getting organized”. Instead try clean out the junk drawer in the kitchen. Then move on to another area.
- Get the materials together. This could mean physical supplies or it could mean researching what you are going to do so that you will not fail.
- Make the time. We all have time during the week that we basically waste. My biggest one is Facebook.
Of course, these are easy to say and not so easy to do. Over the next several posts, I am going to go step by step through some of the ones I can actually say I have done or am going to do.
It can be done. It will make you feel better. (Maybe it will make you sleep better).
So, get off your duff and do it!