We have probably all said it many times – “I need to lose some weight, get in shape, exercise,etc. But do you ever do it for a long enough period of time to make a difference without going back to your old habits?
This has been a battle for me for the last 15 or more years. I could give you all sorts of reasons but that would not change the fact that I obese, not just fat…..OBESE! The first time someone said I was morbidly obese, I wanted to punch them. Surely I was just fat but then I looked at the standards doctors go by and yes, I am obese.
- I think we all need to look at the reasons why we want to change and find one that is important enough to do the changes we need to do.
- For me it is a combination of things. I am not getting any younger. It is harder to lose weight the older you get.
- My children and grandchildren. It is hard to keep up with them sometimes. I do not want them ever to be ashamed of me for my weight. do not want to die early and leave them with a hold in the hearts.
- I do not want to be a burden to anyone. Having taken care of some aging adults, it was much easier to care for the ones that did not carry the extra pounds.
- I just want to live. Period. I may be on the downhill side of life but I plan to enjoy the slide.
- Why are you avoiding it?
- My health has been a problem for me but that can be a reason to avoid it OR a reason to get with it.
- I am just plain lazy. When I get home from work, I do not want to do anything more that I have to.
- Fear of having people watch me exercise. Have you ever been the fat one in a class full of skinny people? It is not fun.
- Fear of failure – but if you never start, you have already failed.
- Start small so it is doable.
- For me this is an appointment I have soon where I will tour a women only gym. It is a 24 hour gym so I can go anytime. They have people that can help with the machines and teach you the right way to do it. It is affordable as it is only $26.00 a month and I could easily spend more than that on junk food.
- Pick one thing to remove from your diet. For me it has to be sweets. I can sit down with a box of cookies and just absently minded eat until they are all gone. Then I am disgusted with my self. I am not an expert but have been told that sugar just makes you want more sugar so I am going to do my best to just completely stay away from it.
- Have a friend help you. It could be your husband, fitness coach or just a friend who might have similar goals. My husband is going to help me and also a lady from work. Maybe you need an exercise buddy.
- Get your supplies together.
- This can be as simple as buying more fruits and vegetables.
- Maybe you need to get some books on whatever diet you want to try.
- Perhaps you want to buy some home workout equipment like weights or a bike.
- There are free programs out there you can log your food intake or exercise on that will help you make good decisions and track your progress.
- Now just MAKE the time.
- We all have extra time. It is just how we choose to use it.
I am happy to say I took the time and checked out the gym. I am joining on Monday and my goal is to go 3 times a week at the minimum. That for me will be easier than staying away from the sweets.
What are you going to do? Do you have any suggestions for others how to achieve their goals?